The “Nut Club”, known in the 40’s as “The Gayest Spot in Town” with “Continuous Screwey Entertainment”, offering “Dancing and Dinners from $1.50”, was located on Alton Road and Dade Blvd. This nightclub actually copyrighted their other popular saying displayed on their postcards, “We’re Never Too Busy To Say Hello!”.
On February 13, 1943, Billboard’s magazine posted the editorial “Nut Club Folds; Other Miami Spots Do Good Business”. Owner Lew Mercer advertised his Nut Club for sale the previous week. Subsequently, the club went into receivership from allegations that the furnishings were removed and concealed.
On another note that week in 1943 “…the Miami Beach City Council fixed the license for all-night clubs at $2,000 per annum. Cabarets which close at 3 a.m. will have to pay a $500 license. License for music machines have been jacked up to $50 from $25.”
Shown are 1940’s vintage postcard, archival matchbook and advertisement for “Kernel” Lew Mercur’s Nut Club located at 1827 Alton Road near Dade Blvd.