1950s “Rest Assured” ad for The Essex House Hotel Overlooking the Ocean, Corner Collins Ave. at 10th St. This hotel is considered one of Henry Hohauser’s best designs. Built in 1938, the hotel has the streamlined shape of a ship, with porthole windows and a double-faced metal spire with neon lights that illuminate the hotel’s name against the night sky. At the time, guests had clear ocean views from their rooms as the lot to the east was vacant. Activities & amenities offered were Dancing, the Solarium, Moonlight Cruises, Bingo, Fishing Parties, Recreation Card Room, Elevator Service, a Phone in Each Room and Free Parking. Most of the Deco-era lobbies, like that at the Essex House, were outfitted with color coded mosaics. Follow the subtle arrow and diamond shapes on the floor to find a secret backroom casino that was prevalent during the 1940s. The Essex House, which received a $3 million renovation in 1998, is one of Miami Beach’s most popular landmarks.