In her lecture, Goldstein traces the history and preservation of 301 Washington Ave, currently the main building of the Jewish Museum of Florida. This building was erected in 1936 as an addition to Congregation Beth Jacob. The congregation’s original building, located at 311 Washington Avenue, was built in 1929 and was Miami Beach’s first synagogue.
The 1936 addition was designed by the noted Art Deco architect Henry Hohauser. The addition became the congregation’s prayer sanctuary and the original building became the congregation’s social hall. Both buildings are historically significant for the Jewish community.
Goldstein shares early images of the site and discusses its many transformations throughout the years.
Goldstein is the curator of the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. During the course of her ten years at the museum, she has curated many well-received exhibits including Tennessee Williams: Playwright and Painter, The Art of the Lithograph, Giller on Giller: Adventures in Architecture, and Judith Leiber: Master Craftsman.
Several of her curated exhibitions have appeared in The New York Times, Ocean Drive Magazine, The Robb Report, ArtDaily Newsletter, and The Art Newspaper. Papers published include Machines in the Garden: The Private Houses of Richard Neutra.
Jacqueline began her museum career working at The Metropolitan Museum of Art, earned an M.A. in Art History from The City College of New York, and was awarded the Connor Travel Grant for research.
The 16th World Congress on Art Deco was made possible with the support of the Greater Miami Convention and Visitors Bureau, the City of Miami Beach, Miami-Dade County, the State of Florida, the International Coalition of Art Deco Societies, and the Art Deco Society of the Palm Beaches.