Carl Fisher’s Clubhouse built in 1916, just one year after the incorporation of the city of Miami Beach, was located at his executive golf course on Dade Blvd. and Washington Avenue. It is considered the oldest public building in Miami Beach. August Geiger was the architect, who also worked with Carl Fisher on various projects including Fisher’s residence in 1925. In 1937, another structure was built on the the northeast corner of the property designed by Robert A. Taylor known as the The Little Acorn Theater. In 1939, The Club House was purchased by the City of Miami Beach. In 1983, it was designated as a historic site/landmark.
In 2018, the City of Miami Beach approved a Clubhouse restoration of more than $3.2 million. They hired architect Richard Heisenbottle for the full restoration/design services for the building that included the interior restoration of the Main Hall, an impressively crafted double height space with detailed moldings and ornate fireplace mantle.
The building interior was scheduled for completion in March 2019, while the exterior was to be done later in the fall season because of additional seawall work nearby. Mayor Dan Gelber and the city commission discussed the clubhouse’s potential on Jan. 15th, 2020 and agreed the City would seek proposals as how to best utilize this historic property. The Covid virus has stalled any current progress on this project to date.
Shown are color photographs of Carl Fisher’s Municipal Golf Course Clubhouse on the Dade Canal near Washington Avenue and 1920s Postcard via FL Memory Archives.