1950’s postcard of The New Yorker Hotel at 1611 Collins Ave. It was the destruction of the New Yorker Hotel in 1981, considered by some the masterpiece of local architect Henry Hohauser, that really sparked the historic preservation passion in Miami Beach. Its symbol became the rallying point for those seeking local designation of the Historic District. In fact, the Miami Design Preservation League uses the image of the New Yorker in its logo. The lot stood vacant for many years until 1998 when the Loews Hotel was built.