1940’s postcard and 1980 matchbook cover from Gatti Restaurant . From 1925 to 1992, this restaurant at 1427 West Avenue held its place as a shining star with Miami Beach eateries, serving up delicious Northern Italian homemade pasta and fresh seafood. Gatti opened its doors in Miami Beach, bearing the name of founder Oreste Gatti. This eatery enjoyed a long run by any standard, serving up its last round of cappuccinos in 1992. For all of those years, the restaurant remained in the Gatti family, passed on by its founder to son Joe, and in turn by Joe to his son, Michael. People loved their engaging stories nearly as much as they did the fine meals. During the dry-as-dust years of Prohibition, the place doubled as a speakeasy, to help keep Miami Beach “wet”. An unending stream of the famous, infamous, and regular people always showed up ready to be seated. One particularly odd coupling of “regulars,” in the 1950’s and 60’s, involved notorious gangster Mayer Lansky and his party and founding FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover and his “longtime companion”, Clyde Tolson. One night they were forced by circumstances to be seated at adjoining tables. In 1997, the West Avenue address became the location of “Starfish,” a small and festive nightclub. In 2002 it became the location of the colorful restaurant by the name of Barton G’s (interior photo below).