Front and back of 1926 postcard of The Flamingo Hotel on 15th & Bay Road, that was built by pioneering Miami Beach developer Carl G. Fisher. It was designed by Price and McLanahan and opened in 1921. An adjoining golf course was designed by Captain H.C. Tippet. Fisher was determined to avoid the ocean-side beaches where his development partner John S. Collins had established a casino. He saw the smooth waters of Biscayne Bay as the perfect place for a boat racing spectacle, as an attraction for wealthy and refined tourists. The pioneer automobile racing promoter established the famous Biscayne Bay Speed Boat Regattas near Belle Isle as a publicity draw for his giant new hotel. The Flamingo site overlooks Flagler Monument Island in Biscayne Bay. The Flamingo Hotel was torn down in the 1950’s to make room for the new Morton Towers development, which today is known as the Flamingo Point South Apartments.